Philips Conoco 66 Cast iron sign
Brothers Frank and L.E. Phillips founded Phillips Petroleum Company, headquartered in Bartlesville, OK in 1917.
The 76 brand, long familiar in the western U.S., was created by Union Oil Company of California (later Unocal) in 1932.
During World War II, Phillips Petroleum and Conoco made high-octane aviation fuel possible, boosting the power of Allied airplanes.
During the 50s, 60s and 70s, Conoco and Phillips Petroleum expanded operations and entered new markets. Conoco built a new refinery in Billings, Mont. and expanded overseas. Phillips invented polyethylene plastics and entered the plastics business. It also began producing a polyolefin plastic trademarked as Marlex. Wham-O Manufacturing used Marlex in the production of the hula hoop.